WHAT TO EXPECT
Welcome to your gymnastics program. To enjoy your program we provide you with the following guidelines for the safety and enjoyment of yourself, your child and all other Kanata participants. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to talk to your coach or contact the office at 780-986-2627. Enjoy your session!
WHAT TO WEAR
What should you and/or your child wear?
- Comfortable clothing that stretches, nothing too baggy, shorts, sweats, t-shirt, no denim or drawstrings.
- Bare feet or specific gymnastics slippers.
- Long hair tied back.
- No jewelry.
- No chewing gum or candy.
- Leotards preferred for girls and short/T-shirt for boy.
- NO BOBBYPINS.
All Kanata coaches are NCCP certified and fully qualified to coach. Your class may also have an apprentice being mentored by your coach. The apprentice’s role is to learn coaching fundamentals while learning coaching techniques.
Washrooms are located upstairs.
The upstairs viewing area enables visitors to watch the whole training area. Siblings should be supervised at all times. As a reminder, loud noises in the upstairs viewing area can be heard in the training area – please have children not in class playing quietly.
Only children registered in the class are permitted in the gym. Anyone in the training area must be registered in a program ensuring they are registered with Alberta Gymnastics Federation. (Parents are registered when attending Parent & Tot Programs)
PARENT & TOT PARTICIPANTS
- Always hold your child just above the waist as this is where your child’s centre of gravity is. This position will leave hands and feet free to touch, grab, hold, climb and extend for balance.
- Holding your child by the wrist while on bars can help to prevent injuries.
Listen and follow your coach
- Please follow your coach’s instruction to achieve the most enjoyment from your class.
- Parents should make every attempt to keep children on the same rotation and with their group at all times.
- Children should not be wandering off, if your child needs to use the washroom facilities or have a drink at the water fountain, please go with them.
- As well, please do not leave your child unattended in the gym or on an apparatus. This program is designed for parents and children to work together.
PRESCHOOL AND BADGE PARTICIPANTS
Please ask permission to enter the training area.
Please refrain from communicating to your child from the upstairs viewing area or through a door when he/she is in class. This is not only a safety hazard but also a distraction to other participants in the gym as well as coaches. If there is a problem you may receive permission from office staff or your coach to enter the training area.